Senior Researcher at Computer Vision Center (CVC)
Head of Barcelona Perceptual Computing Lab (BCNPCL)Personal Web: http://www.cvc.uab.es/people/petia, email: petia dot ivanova at ub dot edu Google Scholar Citations, Microsoft Academic Record, LinkedIn, ResearchGate We have a vacant Master and/or PhD Fellowship on Lifelogging and Deep learning! If you are interested, send your CV and Academic transcript to email@example.com.
I did my undergraduate study at the University of Sofia, Bulgaria, at 1989. In 1991 I moved to Spain where in 1993 I presented my Master at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in the field of Image Processing, Computer Graphics and Artificial Intelligence. In 1996, I received my Ph.D. degree from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Currently, I’m Head of Barcelona Perceptual Computing Laboratory (BCNPCL) at the University of Barcelona and Head of Medical Imaging Laboratory (MILab) of Computer Vision Center (www.cvc.uab.es). My present research interests are on development of learning-based approaches for computer vision and image processing. Some of the recent projects I’m currently leading or participate are: Can a monitorizing wearable camera help change our lifestyle?, Machine learning tools for large scale object recognition, Audience measurements by Computer Vision, Evaluation of Intestinal Motility by Endoluminal Image Analysis, Sponsored Research Agreement on Automatic Stent Detection in IVUS, Study for the development of a polyp detection algorithm under a Polyp Detection, etc.
My research interests are in the fields of:
- Lifelogging and egocentric vision
- Event detection
- Object discovery
- Video segmentation and analysis
- Image segmentation
- Multi-class classification
Applications of Computer Vision and Machine Learning to Healthcare deserve special interest to me. In particular:
- Applying life-logging to Mild Cognitive Impairment patients.
- Applying life-logging to improve healthy habits of persons.
- Wireless endoscopy for intestine motility disorders diagnosis.
- Registration and retrieval of IVUS pullbacks for pre- post-intervention assessment.
Selected Recent Publications
- Marc Bolaños, Ricard Mestre, Estefanía Talavera, Xavier Giró i Nieto, Petia Radeva: Visual summary of egocentric photostreams by representative keyframes. ICME Workshops 2015: 1-6, arXiv.org>cs>arXiv:1505.01130.
- Marc Bolaños, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva, “Towards Storytelling from Visual Lifelogging: An Overview”, arXiv:1507.06120, 2015, (submitted to a Journal).
- Marc Bolaños, Petia Radeva: Ego-object discovery. CoRR abs/1504.01639 (2015)
- , IBPRIA’15, Santiago de Compostela, 2015.
Object Discovery using CNN Features in Egocentric Videos, IBPRIA’15, Santiago de Compostela, 2015.
- M. Bolaños, M. Garolera, P. Radeva, “Video segmentation of life-logging videos”, AMDO’2014, Springer-Verlag, 2014, p.1-9.
- M. Bolaños, P. Radeva, “Object Discovery for Egocentric Videos Based on Convolutional Neural Network Features”, Workshop on Storytelling, ECCV, 2014,(extended version submitted to a journal).
- M. Aghaei, P. Radeva, “Bag-of-Tracklets for Person Tracking in Life-LoggingData”, CCIA’2014, Proceedings of Catalonian Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Barcelona, Spain, 22 of October, 2014 (extended version submitted to a journal).
Marc Bolaños, Maite Garolera, Petia Radeva, “Active Labeling Application Applied to Food-Related Object Recognition”, 5th Workshop on Multimedia for Cooking and Eating Activities: CEA2013, ACM International Conference on Multimedia 2013, Barcelona October, 2013.
Alberti M, Balocco S, Carrillo X, Mauri J, Radeva P., “Automatic Non-rigid Temporal Alignment of Intravascular Ultrasound Sequences: Method and Quantitative Validation“, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 39(9):1698-712.
- Invited talk on “Visual Lifelogging: from egocentric images to neurorehabilitation” 26 of November, 2015, Master Lecture Announcement – EUSES Physiotherapy.
- Invited speaker at the ICMV’2015 Conference on: Deep learning and Lifelogging, 20 of November, 2015.
- Invited speaker at the DIPP’2015 Conference: Digital Presentation and Preservation of Cultural and Scientific Heritage, talk on “Visual Lifelogging in the Era of Outstanding Digitization“, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, 28 of September, 2015.
- Master thesis of Aniol Lidon on “Semantic and Diverse Summarization of Egocentric Photo Events“, 18 of September, 2015, Barcelona, Spain.
- Talk at CAIP 2015:
- Presentation at Bulgarian Academy of Science (BAN), Erasmus, August, 2015.
- Talk on Visual Lifelogging: using non‐medical images for medical purposes at the Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain, 29 of Juliol, 2015.
- Talk at CVPR’2015, Workshop on Medical imaging meets Computer Vision at the era of Big Data, Deep Learning and Novel Representations.
- Talk at IMEC, Holst Center, Eindhoven, 2015, The Netherlands.
- PC meeting Munich 2015, May, 2015.
- Talk at the University of Groningen2014 during my visit to the University of Groningen, The Netherlands, 24th of November, 2014.
- Keynote speaker on “Talk Petia Radeva icmv2014“, of the 7th International Conference on Machine Vision, Milan, Italy, November 19-21, 2014.
- Invited tutorial at the AMDO’2014 conference. Talk: “Lifelogging: what’s it about?“, 18 of July, 2014, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 1.5 hours.
- Invited talk organized within the European project “Advanced Computing for Innovation (Acommin). Topic: ”Video segmentation: applications to medical imaging and life-logging data”, January 14th 2014, Institute of information and communication technologies, bulgarian academy of sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria, 3 hours.
- Invited talk organized within the European project “Advanced Computing for Innovation (Acommin). Topic: ”Advanced course on Computer Vision”, 24 to 26 July 2013, Institute of information and communication technologies, bulgarian academy of sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria, 14 hours.
PhD and Master students:
Marc Bolaños (PhD Fellow, UB).
Maedeh Aghaei (PhD Fellow, APIF, UB) co-supervised with Dr. Mariella Dimiccoli (Postdoc, CVC).
Estefania Talavera (Master Fellow, UB, co-supervised with Prof. Nicolai Petkov, of the University of Groningen).
Mª Ángeles Jiménez (PhD Fellow, FPI, Ministry of Economy and Competence), co-supervised with Dr. Laura Igual (UB).
Jordina Torrents, PhD student, co-supervised with Dr. Domenec Puig (URV), URV.
Marga Torre, La Generalitat de Catalunya, co-supervised with Dr. Fernando Hernandez (UPC) and Ricardo Toledo (UAB).
Aniol Lidon, Master student, CVC, co-supervised with Xavier Giro-i-Nieto, UPC.
Mariella Dimiccoli (Postdoc, CVC)
Laura Igual, Associate professor, UB.
Simone Balocco, Associate professor, UB.
Chen Zang, BioHealth Master, co-supervised with Laura Igual (UB).
Maite Garolera, Head of Neuropsychology Unit at Consorci Sanitari de Terrassa.
Domenec Puig, Associate professor, Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV).
Xavier Giro-i-Nieto, Associate professor, UPC.
Roberto Elosua, Senior researcher, IMIM.
Maria del Mar Vila, PhD student, IMIM.
Jose Massa & Jose Moreno, Universidad Nacional del Centro de la Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Supervised PhD thesis:
15. Felip Miralles, 2016, UB
14. Michal Drozdzal, 2014, UB
13. Marina Alberti, 2013, UB
12. Francesco Ciompi, 2012, UB
11. Pierluigi Casale, 2011, UB
10. Sergio Escalera, 2009, UAB
9. David Rotger, 2008, UAB
8. Fernando Vilariño, 2006, UAB
7. Jaume Amores, 2006, UAB
5. Misael Rosales, 2005, UAB
4. Debora Gil, 2004, UAB
3. Oriol Pujol, 2004, UAB
2. Cristina Cañero, 2003, UAB
1. Ricardo Toledo, 2002, UAB
Supervised Master thesis:
Chen Zang, BioHealth Master, co-supervised with Laura Igual (UB).
Marc Bolaños, UB, 2014.
Maedeh Aghaei, UB, 2013.
Currently, I’m teaching:
Data structures, a course for 1st year students of Computer Science undergraduate study at the University of Barcelona.
Computer Vision, a course for 3rd year students of Computer Science undergraduate study at the University of Barcelona.
Artificial Vision, a Master course for students of graduate study on Artificial Intelligence, UPC-UB-URV.
Advanced Medical Imaging, a Master course for students of graduate study on Biomedical Engineering.
Program committee of MICCAI’2015, CAIP’2015, CCIA’2015, etc.
Local area chair at CVPR’2014.
Local area chair of ICPR’2014.
Special sessions chairwomen of ICME’2014.
Chairwomen of Computing and Visualization for Intravascular Imaging and Computer Assisted Stenting (CVII-STENT), Workshop at MICCAI’2014.
Program committee member of: AMDO 2012, CAIP 2009, CAIP 2011, CAIP 2013, CAIP 2015, CCIA 2007, CCIA 2008, CCIA’2014, CCIA09, CIARP 2012, CIARP’2014, CIARP2008, CIARP2009, HICV2011, ICIAP2009, IWITINCVPR 2011, JCC2010, JCC2013, MCPR2010, MCPR2013, MCS2011, MICCAI STENT 2013, MICCAI-CVII 2011, MICCAI-STENT’12, MWPR2009, RECPAT-2010.
“El CST rep una beca per la investigació en malalties neurodegeneratives“, terassadigital.cot, 31 d’Octubre, 2014.
“Convertir las 8 horas de película de la endoscopia sin cable en un ‘corto'”, El Mundo, April, 9th, 2014.
“Algoritmos de visión artificial para la salud coronaria“, 08/01/2014, ingenieros.es, Portal de ingenieros superiores.
“UB premia estudis de neurolingüística i de nanotecnologia per vèncer càncer“, La Vanguardia, Desember 12, 2013.
“La UB reclama més inversió pública per transferir el coneixement de les universitats“, EuropaPress, Desember 12, 2013.