Senior Researcher at Computer Vision Center (CVC)
Head of Computer Vision and Machine Learning at the University of Barcelona consolidated research group (www.ub.edu/cvub)Personal Web: http://www.cvc.uab.es/people/petia, email: petia dot ivanova at ub dot edu Google Scholar Citations, Microsoft Academic Record, LinkedIn, ResearchGate
A one-year postdoc position is open within an European project. For more details, see the link.We have a vacant Master and/or PhD Fellowship on Lifelogging and Deep learning! If you are interested, send your CV and Academic transcript to email@example.com.
I did my undergraduate study at the University of Sofia, Bulgaria, at 1989. In 1991 I moved to Spain where in 1993 I presented my Master at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in the field of Image Processing, Computer Graphics and Artificial Intelligence. In 1996, I received my Ph.D. degree from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Currently, I’m Head of Barcelona Perceptual Computing Laboratory (BCNPCL) at the University of Barcelona and Head of Medical Imaging Laboratory (MILab) of Computer Vision Center (www.cvc.uab.es). My present research interests are on development of learning-based approaches for computer vision and image processing. Some of the recent projects I’m currently leading or participate are: Can a monitorizing wearable camera help change our lifestyle?, Machine learning tools for large scale object recognition, Audience measurements by Computer Vision, Evaluation of Intestinal Motility by Endoluminal Image Analysis, Sponsored Research Agreement on Automatic Stent Detection in IVUS, Study for the development of a polyp detection algorithm under a Polyp Detection, etc.
Currently, I’m member of:
- Computer Vision and Machine Learning at the University of Barcelona (CVUB)
- Computer Vision Center (CVC)
- Institute of Mathematics of the University of Barcelona (IMUB)
- BARCELONA GRADUATE SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS (BSGMath)
- IAPR Fellow
- Asociación Española de Reconocimiento de Formas y Análisis de Imágenes (AERFAI)
My research interests are in the fields of:
- Lifelogging and egocentric vision
- Event detection
- Object discovery
- Video segmentation and analysis
- Image segmentation
- Multi-class classification
Applications of Computer Vision and Machine Learning to Healthcare deserve special interest to me. In particular:
- Applying life-logging to Mild Cognitive Impairment patients.
- Applying life-logging to improve healthy habits of persons.
- Wireless endoscopy for intestine motility disorders diagnosis.
- Registration and retrieval of IVUS pullbacks for pre- post-intervention assessment.
Our API and APP for Automatic food recognition, LogMeal has been registered!
For a complete list of my publications, please have a look here.
- Invited plennary talk at the Artificial Intelligence International Conference A2IC’2018, Barcelona, Spain, 22.11.2018.
- Open lecture on “Uncertainty-aware CNNs. Application to food image analysis” as a conclusion of the second edition of the Deep Learning for Artificial Intelligence course of Master MET, UPC, 17.12.2018.
- Invited talk on “Deep Learning and Computer Vision” at the Aula Magna, Lima, Peru, 5.11.18.
- Invited talk on “Uncertainty-aware food analysis by Deep learning” at the International Confrence on Machine Vision, ICMV’2018, Munich, Germany, 2.10.2018.
- Invited talk on “How Egocentric Vision and Visual Lifelogging complement medical images in health applications?!” at the SIPAIM’2016, Tandil, Argentina, 2016.
- Invited talk on “What is common between Deep learning, Food Analysis and Egocentric Vision? at ICMV’2016, Nice, France, 18-30 of November, 2016.
- Invited talk on “Can Deep Learning and Egocentric Vision for Visual Lifelogging help us eat better?” at the CCIA’16 conference, UPF, Barcelona, 20 of October, 2016.
- Invited talk on “Lifelogging, egocentric vision and health: how a small wearable camera can help me improve my health state” 16 of September, 2016, Accenture Analytics, Sant Cugat del Vallés, Spain.
- Invited talk on “Food Analysis by Deep Learning“, AMITANNS’2016, Albena, Bulgaria, June 22-27 2016.
- Invited speaker at the ICMV’2015 Conference on: Deep learning and Lifelogging, 20 of November, 2015.
- Invited speaker at the DIPP’2015 Conference: Digital Presentation and Preservation of Cultural and Scientific Heritage, talk on “Visual Lifelogging in the Era of Outstanding Digitization“, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, 28 of September, 2015.
- Master thesis of Aniol Lidon on “Semantic and Diverse Summarization of Egocentric Photo Events“, 18 of September, 2015, Barcelona, Spain.
- Talk at CAIP 2015:
- CAIP 2015 Introduction on Visual Lifelogging I part
- CAIP 2015 Deep learning II part
- CAIP 2015 TemporalSegmentation III part
- CAIP 2015 Social interactions IV part
- Presentation at Bulgarian Academy of Science (BAN), “Object Discovery using CNN Features in Egocentric Videos”, Erasmus, August, 2015.
- Talk on Visual Lifelogging: using non‐medical images for medical purposes at the Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain, 29 of Juliol, 2015.
- Talk at CVPR’2015, Workshop on Medical imaging meets Computer Vision at the era of Big Data, Deep Learning and Novel Representations.
- Talk “Life-logging and egocentric vision” at IMEC, Holst Center, Eindhoven, 2015, The Netherlands.
- Talk “Visual Lifelogging: using non-medical images for medical purposes” during the PC meeting of MICCAI’2015, in Munich, May, 2015.
- Talk at the University of Groningen2014 during my visit to the University of Groningen, The Netherlands, 24th of November, 2014.
- Keynote speaker on “Talk Petia Radeva icmv2014“, of the 7th International Conference on Machine Vision, Milan, Italy, November 19-21, 2014.
- Invited tutorial at the AMDO’2014 conference. Talk: “Lifelogging: what’s it about?“, 18 of July, 2014, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 1.5 hours.
- Invited talk organized within the European project “Advanced Computing for Innovation (Acommin). Topic: ”Video segmentation: applications to medical imaging and life-logging data”, January 14th 2014, Institute of information and communication technologies, bulgarian academy of sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria, 3 hours.
- Invited talk organized within the European project “Advanced Computing for Innovation (Acommin). Topic: ”Advanced course on Computer Vision”, 24 to 26 July 2013, Institute of information and communication technologies, Bulgarian Academy of Science, Sofia, Bulgaria, 14 hours.
PhD and Master students:
Marc Bolaños (PhD Fellow, UB).
Eduardo Aguilar, (PhD Fellow), UB & Chile.
Estefania Talavera (Master Fellow, UB, co-supervised with Prof. Nicolai Petkov, of the University of Groningen).
Mostafa Kamal, PhD student, co-supervised with Dr. Domenec Puig (URV), URV.
Marga Torre, La Generalitat de Catalunya, co-supervised with Dr. Fernando Hernandez (UPC) and Ricardo Toledo (UAB).
Eduardo Aguilar (PhD Fellow, Chile).
Gabriel de Oliveira (PhD Fellow).
Pedro Herruzo (Master student, UB).
Alejandro Cartas (PhD Fellow, Mexico).
Maria Leyva (Master student, UB).
Mariella Dimiccoli (Postdoc, UB).
Beatriz Remeseiro, Juan de la Cierva Postdoc, UB.
Simone Balocco, Associate professor, UB.
Laura Igual, Associate professor, UB.
Emanuela Molova, Master student, Bulgaria.
Yordan Petrov, Master student, Bulgaria.
Maite Garolera, Head of Neuropsychology Unit at Consorci Sanitari de Terrassa.
Domenec Puig, Associate professor, Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV).
Xavier Giro-i-Nieto, Associate professor, UPC.
Roberto Elosua, Senior researcher, IMIM.
Maria del Mar Vila, PhD student, IMIM.
Jose Massa & Jose Moreno, Universidad Nacional del Centro de la Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Supervised PhD thesis:
16. Maedeh AGhei, 2018, UB.
15. Felip Miralles, 2016, UB
14. Michal Drozdzal, 2014, UB
13. Marina Alberti, 2013, UB
12. Francesco Ciompi, 2012, UB
11. Pierluigi Casale, 2011, UB
10. Sergio Escalera, 2009, UAB
9. David Rotger, 2008, UAB
8. Fernando Vilariño, 2006, UAB
7. Jaume Amores, 2006, UAB
5. Misael Rosales, 2005, UAB
4. Debora Gil, 2004, UAB
3. Oriol Pujol, 2004, UAB
2. Cristina Cañero, 2003, UAB
1. Ricardo Toledo, 2002, UAB
Supervised Master thesis:
Chen Zang, BioHealth Master, co-supervised with Laura Igual (UB).
Marc Bolaños, UB, 2014.
Maedeh Aghaei, UB, 2013.
Currently, I’m teaching:
Computer Vision, a course for 3rd year students of Computer Science undergraduate study at the University of Barcelona.
Artificial Vision, a Master course for students of graduate study on Artificial Intelligence, UPC-UB-URV.
Advanced Medical Imaging, a Master course for students of graduate study on Biomedical Engineering.
Graduate course on Data science, UB.
Program committee of MICCAI’2015, CAIP’2015, CCIA’2015, etc.
Local area chair at CVPR’2014.
Local area chair of ICPR’2014.
Special sessions chairwomen of ICME’2014.
Chairwomen of Computing and Visualization for Intravascular Imaging and Computer Assisted Stenting (CVII-STENT), Workshop at MICCAI’2014.
Program committee member of: CBMS 2019, APPIS 2019, SITIS 2018, MMM 2019, CAIP2019, CAEPIA 2018, CCIA 2018, SITIS 2018, MADiMa2018, CompIMAGE’18, MLDM 2018, APPIS 2018, ISCSA2017, MMWorkshop17, SSPandBE 2017, NFQS3, CCIA 2017, CBMS2017, WBICV2017IBPRIA’17, WiML’2016, CIARP’2016, CCIA’2016, DATRA’2016, CompIMAGE’2016, LTA’2016, MLPRA’2016, CCIA’2015, CIAPR’2014, CIARP’2014, AMDO’2012, CAIP’2013, CCIA’2014, CIARP’2012, CIARP’2014, CAIP’2015, CAIP’2013, JCC’2013, JCC’2014, MCPR’2013, MICCAI-STENT’2013, MICCAI-STENT’2012.
Petia Radeva has been the honorable chair of ICMV 2018, ICMV 2017, ICMV 2016, ICMV 2015, ICMV 2014, and invited speaker at AMDO’2014, CAIP’2015, CEIG’2003, etc.
Petia Radeva: «La transferència de coneixement és un motor de motivació per als investigadors», interview from the Fundació “Bosch i Gimpera”, May, 2016, Barcelona.
“El CST rep una beca per la investigació en malalties neurodegeneratives“, terassadigital.cot, 31 d’Octubre, 2014.
“Convertir las 8 horas de película de la endoscopia sin cable en un ‘corto'”, El Mundo, April, 9th, 2014.
“Algoritmos de visión artificial para la salud coronaria“, 08/01/2014, ingenieros.es, Portal de ingenieros superiores.
“UB premia estudis de neurolingüística i de nanotecnologia per vèncer càncer“, La Vanguardia, Desember 12, 2013.
“La UB reclama més inversió pública per transferir el coneixement de les universitats“, EuropaPress, Desember 12, 2013.
Links of interest: