Postdoc junior (R2) position in Data Science
The Computer Vision Center (CVC) is a non-profit research center established in 1995 by the Generalitat de Catalunya and the UniversitatAutònoma de Barcelona (UAB). Its mission is to carry out cutting-edge research that has the highest international impact in the field of computer vision. It also promotes the transference of knowledge to industry and society.
Computer vision is an exciting research area and an omnipresent technology, essentially empowering machines with the sense of vision. The CVC is a successful marriage between knowledge and innovation. In addition to our cutting-edge scientific achievements, we have established lasting ties with industrial partners and created several spin-off companies.
Research area or group
Research Lab on Image Sequence Evaluation.
Context and Mission
The Computer Vision Center seeks applications to fill a Postdoctoral junior position focused on Information Retrieval and Data Mining.
The selected candidate will collaborate in the project ALETHEIA: Zero Forgetting In Neural Networks: Continual Learning With Anomaly Detection In Image Sequences, on handling misinformation on social media.
The objective of the project is to gain a deep understanding of the phenomenon of dispersion of fake news from start to finish from the perspective of the victims of disinformation. For this, it is proposed to generate a methodology focused on the generation and analysis of data sets (with and without associated verification), applying different techniques and disciplines with a threefold sub-objective: Develop innovative and highly robust models for the characterization of fake news diffusion based on information cascading processes; Generate multimodal data source processing methodologies and tools capable of representing the message in a single vectorial space; and Characterize the messages from a reader's perspective, putting their perception and cognitive response at the centre.
· Early Detection of Hate Speech in Online Social Networks
· Usage of Information Retrieval, Data Mining, Machine Learning, and NLP techniques
· Implementation of Social Mining algorithms
Job knowledge, skills and experience
Candidates must have knowledge and/or experience in:
· PhD on Computer Science or Information Technology (finished, or to be finished before 2023)
· Technical skills on Information Retrieval, Data Mining, Machine Learning
· Expertise on Natural Language Processing
· The candidate must be an effective communicator, multitask, and work well on collaborative and interdisciplinary designs.
· Ability to think creatively.
· Ability to work independently and make decisions.
· Ability to take initiative, prioritize and work under set deadlines and pressure.
Highly valuable skills
Candidates with the following knowledge and/or experience will be evaluated positively, but are not mandatory:
· Familiar with Web Science and Social Computing.
· Experience with Recommender Systems
· Experience with multimodal data analysis.
· Experience with data analysis tools and frameworks (R and Python libraries).
· Prior publications on top ranked journals and conferences addressing social media users’ characterization approaches.
· Experience developing predictive models with multimodal data.
· The position will be located at Computer Vision Center (Campus Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona).
· We offer a full-time open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities (Llei Ciència) linked to the project and budget duration, a good working environment, flexible working hours.
· Salary in accordance with qualifications and experience of the candidate and to the salary regulations of the entity.
· Starting date: March 1, 2023
Applications procedure and process
- All application must include a full CV in English including contact details and must be sent through the form at the bottom of this offer.
- Deadline for applications: February 25, 2023
OTM-R principles for selection processes
The CVC is committed to Open Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment (OTM-R) for any potential candidate in all our processes. In 2015 we received the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R) award. Through an extensive and continuous process, we improve the conditions and opportunities at CVC. With these actions, the CVC is committed to the principles of the European Charter for Researchers, as well as the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
For more information follow this link
This position is linked to the project PID2020-120611RB-I00 funded by MCIN/ AEI/ 10.13039/501100011033 (Spanish Government).
In reference to Article 121 (Personnel Regulations) of the Public Sector Procedures Law 40/2015, dated 1 October 2015, candidates from the Generalitat de Catalunya and the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, as entities of the consortium, will have preference.
En referència a l’Artícle 121 de la Llei 40/2015, d'1 d'octubre, de Règim Jurídic del Sector Públic, de règim de personal, tindran preferència les candidatures provinents de l'administració de la Generalitat de Catalunya i de la UAB com a entitats consorciades.