Computer Vision Engineer for the DECRYPT project
The Computer Vision Center (CVC) is a non-profit research center established in 1995 by the Generalitat de Catalunya and the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). Its mission is to carry out cutting-edge research that has the highest international impact in the field of computer vision. It also promotes the transference of knowledge to industry and society.
Computer vision is an exciting research area and an omnipresent technology, essentially empowering machines with the sense of vision. The CVC is a successful marriage between knowledge and innovation. In addition to our cutting-edge scientific achievements, we have established lasting ties with industrial partners and created several spin-off companies.
Research area or group
One of the research lines of the Computer Vision Center (CVC) consists of recognising images of manuscript documents, including textual and graphic ones (e.g. ciphers, musical scores, etc.).
Unlike text recognition, where there are numerous existing methods, methods for recognizing non-textual manuscripts are very limited. Therefore, given the projects carried out in the center, it is necessary to research on specific deep learning methods to deal with this type of documents.
Context and Mission
The DECRYPT project aims to develop resources and tools to facilitate research in historical cryptology, allowing collection, transcription, analysis, and decryption of historical ciphers. The tools facilitate the processing of the encrypted sources from transcription to decryption. More information on the project at: https://de-crypt.org/
The Computer Vision Center seeks applications to fill a Computer Vision Engineer position focused on the recognition of images of ciphered manuscripts. The successful candidate will join the DECRYPT project team.
- Research and develop new models for the recognition and processing of ciphered manuscripts. These models include state-of-the-art deep learning models such as CNNs, Transformers, etc.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, machine learning scientists, and computer vision researchers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar.
- Master's degree in Computer Vision will be evaluated positively.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience:
- English. The position requires strong English oral and writing skills as the candidate will be interacting with a team of international researchers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Catalan and Spanish are also desired.
- Experience in computer vision and machine learning.
- Experience with Python programming language.
- The candidate must be an effective communicator, multitask, and work well on collaborative and interdisciplinary designs.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize and work under set deadlines and pressure.
Highly valuable skills
- Experience in developing methods for the recognition of handwritten documents, specially ciphered manuscripts, will be evaluated positively.
- Experience in writing project reports and scientific publications will be evaluated positively.
- The position will be located at Computer Vision Center (Campus Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona).
- We offer a full-time contract, a good environment, flexible working hours
- Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary, according to the candidate’s aptitude and experience and in the framework of CVC labor categories
- Starting date: 17th October 2022
Applications procedure and process
- To apply for the job, you must send a full CV in English including contact details through the form you will find at the end of this offer.
Deadline: 30th September 2022
OTM-R principles for selection processes
The CVC is committed to Open Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment (OTM-R) for any potential candidate in all our processes. In 2015 we received the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R) award. Through an extensive and continuous process, we improve the conditions and opportunities at CVC. With these actions, the CVC is committed to the principles of the European Charter for Researchers, as well as the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
For more information follow this link